I spend a LOT of time hunting and destroying the feelings of the Alt-Right. A few thoughts on what I’ve learned about them:
1) They’re weak. Oh, how they are WEAK. They’re DEATHLY scared… of sex, mostly, and all the ways they can’t control it for themselves or others.
2) They are complicit in Russia’s attacks on the West. It’s not that they don’t KNOW Putin is behind so much of their propaganda. It’s that they welcome him. They see him as an ally in overturning the governments and cultures they detest.
3) It’s no accident that we see a massive overlap between racism & sexism. The Alt-Right essentially want to control access to white women, & they couch their hatred of foreigners largely in terms of the danger posed to ‘their’ white women.
4) They will never abandon Donald Trump because, essentially, he is their avatar. He’s as immature, ignorant, racist, sexist, & incompetent as they are. They glory in the way others react to Trump’s “power” because THEY have felt so POWERLESS.
5) The Alt-Right is always guilty of whatever it is they accuse those they hate of. Always. They have no imagination, but assume that the left is just like themselves. They lack the maturity to understand that other humans are actually healthy.
6) The Alt-Right’s railing against ‘globalism’ is hypocritical, considering that the Alt-Right itself is an international movement largely funded and nourished by Russian Military Intelligence. It’s essentially the ComIntern of the 21st Century.
7) The Alt-Right has an odd relationship with postmodernism. They viscerally hate that western culture is malleable (i.e. ‘white genocide’), but glory in the fabrication of complete untruths & the destruction of objective reality (i.e. ‘fake news’).
8) The Alt-Right make poor trolls, because they largely telegraph their own insecurities in their attacks. They’ll tell you, outright, how to hurt them, by calling you the names that they themselves are afraid to be called. They’re easy to defeat.
9) The Alt-Right isn’t new. The crippling feelings that motivate them are older than the United States. Anti-federalists, Know-Nothings, Confederates, and other groups throughout American history have also hated our government and our diversity.
10) They’re stuck in the past. Yes, they want to return to an idealized past of white power that never existed, but they’re also stuck in 2016. They don’t HAVE a plan for 2018 or 2020. They just want to relive Trump’s election victory endlessly.
11) They WILL try to undermine democracy again in 2018 and 2020. Remember, they don’t see liberal or minority votes as legitimate. They DON’T love democracy or America. They love TRIBALISM. Be vigilant about turning out and protecting the vote!
12) The Alt-Right loves to make fun of the ‘safe space,’ but, essentially, that’s what Ethno-Nationalism IS: a giant safe-space for racist white people. Even their preferred media is all a giant safe-space echo chamber to validate their feelings.
13) The Alt-Right isn’t as iconoclastic as they claim to be. Their media personalities, largely on fringe networks, websites, podcasts, & YouTube, want to REPLACE national media, not abolish it. They’re JEALOUS of the ability to influence culture.
14) They don’t have a pragmatic grasp of Realpolitik. Their feelings and vague goals do not take into account the fact that they are complicit in the weakening of the Western democracies, which, of course, is Putin’s real objective in all of this.
15) The Alt-Right’s influence is largely based on the unwillingness of social media platforms, like Twitter, to refuse to be used as tools of Russian espionage. If Twitter wanted to actually be patriotic, it could cripple the Alt-Right overnight.
16) The wailing of Right Wing figures about the First Amendment is disingenuous. The Alt-Right does not care about free speech. What they want is THEIR speech first made legitimate, and secondly, made the SOLE acceptable speech.
17) Never forget that the Alt-Right are, at heart, authoritarians. The fact that they don’t cringe at colluding with a murderous dictator like Putin tells you that they are not defenders of democracy at all, but its enemies. They are DANGEROUS.
18) While Alt-Right figures are easily triggered by the supposed distinctions they see among themselves, essentially their Supremacists would, given free rein, enslave people of color, while their Nationalists would merely violently deport all PoC.
19) We are right to call them traitors. The Alt-Right view liberals and racial/religious minorities as THE existential threat to their hegemony; greater than any geopolitical threat posed by Russia. They have chosen Putin over the US Constitution.
20) They hate that they’re ignorant. It’s why they invent words like ‘libtard’: to deflect their self-consciousness about their lack of education/economic power. They’ll cite YouTube and fringe blogs. They don’t understand or value peer review.
21) Alt-Right media personalities, like those that work at InfoWars and Breitbart, are con artists. They are in this to make money. Watch how often RW twitter accounts ask followers for money/book sales/GoFundMe support/YouTube video likes, etc.
22) Because Alt-Righters are weak and scared, they thrive on outraging those they fear. They like ‘shitposting’ and enjoy watching Trump do the same. Don’t be outraged by them. Mock them. Prey on their fears. Proactively hunt and diminish them.